[SML] "Regulatory" agencies?

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 20:11:45 UTC 2021

Somewhere I have an article on this - perhaps Protocol.

The jurisdiction - town, city, county, or state typically - has building
officials and authorities having jurisdiction who can enforce laws.
Typically the building official enforces building codes - which includes
accessibility - and fire service enforces fire codes. Some jurisdictions
combine these in one department.

Any law is a result of legislative action. Typically jurisdictions adopt -
by legislation - a model code. The International Building Code,
International Fire Code, and Life Safety Code are common.  Those codes
reference many standards, ones overseen by ANSI, ASTM, NFPA, ICC, and too
many to recall.  Not all ANSI standards are referenced, just those
referenced by codes.

In addition to the above, feds have regulations that might be enforced.
OSHA and ADA are two.  Many others. Many are enforced by DOJ.

That tries to explain enforcement if that is what you mean by regulation.
the development of the codes and standards - adopted into law or not - is a
different issue, and the role of those not made law, an entirely different
subject.

Hope there is some help there.