[SML] An Apology

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Thu Feb 18 16:45:15 UTC 2021

Joe;
I would like to sincerely apologize for offending you with my post. I must have read that hundreds of times and quite honestly, it never occurred to me that the color references within it were triggering or racist. I offer no excuses and hope that with this apology I can convey that is was never my intent to insult, degrade, or cause harm.

As a straight white man living in America I pretend no personal experience to the harm this nation has caused to people based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, or identified gender.

That my post hurt you and possibly many others too uncomfortable to say something fills me with grief and despair.  I say this not in search for empathy, but to express that not only am I truly sorry for hurting you but that I also deeply regret having done so.

I am sure you have experienced apologies in the past where those who are apologizing cite examples of past  positive behaviors in defense.  I know that as you and I have no past those words may ring hollow to you.

Please know that I have lived my life in the strong pursuit of equity and equality for all and have tried to make decisions in life and career with the firm belief that we are all human beings deserving of respect and dignity. While there is nothing I can do to erase my post, please know I have learned from this conversation and will never share this again.

If you would like to talk more on this I am happy to learn from you.

David