[SML] An Apology

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 17:35:01 UTC 2021

Dave Fox posted info about standards. As an example, his last item was an accepted standard his dad and friends wrote about making a martini and one of the qualities of that drink was that it be "water-white." It's a humorous yet real and authentic standard reminiscent of the SDS for dihydrogen monoxide.
Joe posted an "I'm offended" email to the list and recommended Dave be removed from all forms of social media.
Dave - being the mensch he is - immediately offered a lengthy, detailed, and heart-felt apology for the offense Joe claimed.
Joe privately contacted Dave to tell him it was a joke. This was a mistake on Joe's part because all of the prior conversation had been in this public forum so that apology should have been publicly offered also.
Today other list members expressed surprise that there would be need for offense.
Most importantly, dear SML friends - racism is most certainly NOT a joking matter. Institutional racism has held back many talented theater artists from having great careers. It means BIPOC stories are not shared they way White stories are in western culture. Cultural appropriation, misrepresentation and ignorance abound. People die both because of the racism and because of misunderstandings around it. I encourage you to become familiar with We See You White American Theater as their document explains this in detail from a USA perspective. https://www.weseeyouwat.com
Joe - your fault is not in clogging  the list; it is in trivializing what is truly a life-or-death situation for many, many folks. You owe the list members - and most especially Dave - a public apology for that.
Kristi R-C