[SML] Smoke, heat, fire sensors for HVAC systems

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Mon Jan 25 19:39:01 UTC 2021

Same in our 25 year old venue.  When smoke/haze is required, we bring in a university Fire Life Safety electrician.  They bypass the automatic call out to the fire department if the system is triggered, and monitor the panel through the event.  They need to confirm real smoke/fire before calling out to the FD.

We were designed with Rate of Rise detectors in the venue (good), BUT smoke detectors were placed in the HVAC, and the FOH Cove (a separate "room" in the ceiling, but with open space into the venue, so haze just wafts up into the cove) and the orchestra pit (again, separate room on the drawings, but big air flow from the Concert Hall.

I'm told that to fix the issue (replace the smoke detectors with Rate of Rise) requires a "full" re-design and re-appoval of the entire system.  So the actual replacement cost is minimal, but the engineering, approvals, and paperwork, are what prohibit the upgrade.  YMMV.

If you get to change your detectors, look at all spaces attached to the venue: off stage areas, lobby, lobby light locks, offstage storage rooms, orchestra pit / basement, etc.  the haze GETS everywhere when the doors open and the audience floods out, drawing the haze with them.

But failing that, some sort of "fire watch" with a disabled / silenced panel is often the typical solution.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre

Phone 604 822 2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca