[SML] Smoke, heat, fire sensors for HVAC systems

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue Jan 26 17:14:24 UTC 2021

At the Chan, we have a "stage 2" button in the fire panel.

Regular system: 24/7, if a water flow, smoke/heat detector, or pull station gets activated, then the system bells ring for evacuation, and fire dept is notified, and day/office staff leave the building.

For shows: FOH pushes the "2 stage button" on the fire panel.  if a water flow, smoke/heat detector, or pull station gets activated: the FD is notified, a chime in the lobby and strobes in the venues activate (alerting FOH staff).  The evacuation bells DON’T go off (yet).  This gives FOH (the building Fire Warden) time to investigate and determine if a real fire or not.  Fire department is still on the way. The only thing the 2stage delays are the evacuation bells.  FOH can continue to delay the evac bells at the fire panel.  If they don't continue to silence bells, eventually the evac bells trigger.  But unlike the hotel story, the FD is on  the way

In a false alarm, the FD arrives, finds the faulty sensor or lack of fire by a pull station, and reset the system.  Most audience not even aware.
If a real alarm, when the FOH confirms fire/smoke, they can trigger the evac bells, and we get the audience out, or wait until FD arrive, and order evac and trigger the bells.

The "2 stage" button resets to "normal" after 5 hours (after the show is over), so any alarm triggers evacuation bells.

Or, on long multiple show/conference/graduation ceremonies days, the FOH needs to reset into "2nd stage" multiple times before it times out and goes back to normal.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre

Phone 604 822 2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca