[SML] Network and SDI cable

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Thu Jul 15 05:10:42 UTC 2021

> I am currently working on an equipment list for a portable video system
> to use for live streaming. I am a little out of my element but I think
> I have settled on the main equipment needed. However I need to get
> network cable for the RS-422 control and SDI cable for the video runs.
> What are your favorite brands for these types of cables? The cables
> don't need to stand up to touring abuse but should be able to handle a
> little abuse.

Since you're streaming, you won't need anything fancy to handle 8k video
or high frame rate, etc. Belden 1694A & 1855A have been the industry
standard for 3G SDI cable to just about everybody, and are reasonably
priced. 1694A is a standard diameter coax cable and will run up to about
500' in real-use scenarios with regular 1.5G (720 or 1080i/30fps) or 3G
(1080p/60fps) signals. 1855A is much smaller in diameter and slightly
cheaper, with the trade-off that it has a length limit of about 300'.
Both of these are designed for permanent installs, so they're not
super-flexible for coiling (though 1855A is better than 1694A due to
it's much smaller diameter). For easier field use, Belden makes a more
flexible version of SDI cable called 1694F and 1505F (note the F for
flexible). Either of those will work just fine for you.

I'll second the recommendation for Bluejeanscable. Markertek is also a
good source. For RS-422 cable, HDMI cables, and misc. adapters,
Monoprice is fairly good at carrying reasonably priced stuff. Cat5e &
Cat6 are commodities at this point, so just source it from wherever is
convenient & cheap.

Good luck and have fun!