[SML] Dave Vick

Joe Golden jgolden at gallagherstaging.com
Sun Nov 14 21:10:16 UTC 2021

Dave there is still a place here at the bar, and in our hearts & minds. Me being in the LA area I am more than aware of the political BS that is being targeted towards locals about Covid and other things.  I wish you peace in your heart with whatever you do.Joe GoldenGallagher Staging657-529-3132951-264-8401Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity and typos.
-------- Original message --------From: Dave Vick via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> Date: 11/14/21  9:12 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Stagecraft Mailing List <stagecraft at theatrical.net> Cc: Dave Vick <dave.vick at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [SML] Dave Vick On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM Booth, Dennis G via Stagecraft<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:> This post came up in my FB memories this morning, OP from Kristi R-C, July 18, 2014:> Wanted to share this from Dave Vick on why he does theater...>  <Big Snip>> The Theatre is Magic. And if it ever stops being magic, then it'll be time for me to die, because there will be no more magic left in the world."> I remember being inspired by this at the time, and I still am.  Not time to die, though.  Time for new adventures.[*teleporting in*]Hiya. How y'all doin'? It's me...I've been off and on the list lately (more off than on if I'm honest),depending on how I feel from day to day, but I've seen the tavern'sreaction to my earlier farewell post...  And, to be honest, I'mcompletely gobsmacked by it. I absolutely *NEVER* expected I'd've hadthat much of an effect on so many other people; I've basically gonethrough life thinking of myself as "that loudmouth from East Cupcake."I am extremely humbled - seriously weapons-grade Humbled - by all ofyour responses.I'm decloaking today because I feel I must address Dennis' quote frommy heart-of-hearts... For the record, I still feel that way, and Ialways, always, always will. Always. Yup.I'm leaving, though, because here where I am, the socio-politicalbullshit surrounding the Magic grew completely untenable, for a numberof reasons directly and indirectly attributable to the Pandemic (andrecovery from same) and the general State of Affairs here. I shan'tlist the myriad reasons here; most of which are local Union & Employermatters, and as such, are NOYB.In full disclosure, I will also reveal to you that I've long wrestledwith some personal issues of depression, going back to what may becharitably considered a "troubled childhood." Theatre was Magicbecause it was my escape. And now, after a lifetime in Neverland, myescape was turning into a soul-crusher.The nadir came two-ish weekend s ago, when after a few days ofassorted work-related socio-political horseshit (I was at the time thePresident of my IATSE Local and, as such, prime target for thethrowing of hot monkey poop by all and sundry), I couldn't muster thegumption to even get out of bed.On my bedroom wall is a gun rack that I carved about ten thousandyears ago out of some exquisite spalted Ambrosia maple . It holds myprized 12ga. trapshooting & sporting-clays shotguns; beautiful gunsfrom Spain and Belgium, hand-engraved, handcrafted works of art, worthabsolutely stupid amounts of money. And all I could do that morningwas lie there in bed and stare at those shotguns and think to myself,"I can make the pain go away. It'll be so easy."And that, my brothers and sisters, was the point when I had my Momentof Clarity: I Can't Do This Any More.Sadly, around here I can't do Magic without having to deal withBullshit. So I have to stop doing Magic, or I will die by my own hand,because moving away from the Greater Metropolitan Cupcake Area is mostassuredly Not An Option. So Dennis is right; it's not time for me todie...  Not yet, anyway. And most definitely not by high-velocity leadpoisoning. The Theatre is *still* Magic, but as strongly as I stillbelieve that, I have to be strong enough to walk away from what I lovebeyond all measure.  For a while, anyway...  Maybe a long while...Who knows?Anyway... Enough of my blathering. I wanted y'all to know I love y'all(in my way), and I'm utterly stunned by your kind words. (Obviouslynot stunned speechless, but... Well... It's me, right? The Loudmouth,right?)Y'all stay safe, now...[*teleporting out*]-- Dave Vick517-749-3859Yeah; *that* guy...____________________________________________________________For list information see <http://stagecraft.theprices.net/>Stagecraft mailing listStagecraft at theatrical.nethttp://theatrical.net/mailman/listinfo/stagecraft_theatrical.net