[SML] video camera setup for video monitoring stage from the obstructed booth

FBC Tech Team sound at faithbc.net
Thu Apr 7 17:04:48 UTC 2022

Hi Steven,
We currently use a remote camera from our Livestreaming room at church to
keep an overall view of the stage/orchestra area. What we did was get an
old Cisco VTC camera from eBay (<$50) that had an SDI output (same kind I
use at work), ran coax and network cable to it, and plugged the SDI BNC
signal into a Best Buy Insignia HD TV using a small Blackmagic Designs
Micro SDI/HDMI adapter (powered from the TV's USB port). I ran the network
cable to the computer we use with our digital mixer and used a serial/USB
adapter to connect the camera's RJ45 RS232 signal to the computer, and use
an ancient (but usable) Sony EVI D-30 software controller for Pan/Tilt/Zoom
control.

If you don't need PTZ, or only have an HDMI cam, those BMD Micro converters
are only $40 ($50 w/AC Power Supply), and I've run 1080p over our existing
aluminum CATV RG6 for up to 300' with no issues that reterminating the
F-type connectors with BNC connectors (vice using adapters) didn't clear
up. You really should use all copper RG6 for new baseband video cable
installs, but hey, I gave it a shot with the existing cable and was
pleasantly surprised ;)

Previous to that, we did use analog video from old Sony PTZ SD cameras over
CATV coax with RCA/F-type adapters to tube TV RCA inputs, and that did work
as well. Not as good of a picture though.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

-------------------------------------
Jeff Klein, DMC-E
Head Volunteer AV Geek
Faith Baptist Church
Glen Burnie, Maryland
(Website / Twitter)
http://www.faithbc.net / @FBC_TechTeam
http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/mixingforjesus / @mixingforjesus
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-klein/32/852/6ba

"Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God
opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5