[SML] Olio/Oleo Drop photos?

Jon Lagerquist jon at lagerquist.com
Mon Aug 1 19:39:23 UTC 2022

I have found that the bottom tube does not need to be particularly
stiff. I use steel when I need more than a material come is because it
is easy to weld (or splice) a longer tube. In use the tube is supported
by the fabric except where the tube extends out past the drop. There is
some torque on the tube to transmit the force from the cable to the
drop. The key thing is to make sure that the drop is flat on the tube.

Transport may have different requirements. And a top roller is a
different critter.

Jon

On 7/31/2022 10:48 AM, Dan Sheehan via Stagecraft wrote:
> This might help.
>   At least it satisfied my curiosity as to what an olio drop is.
> Turns out I have such a rig in my theatre,  Works nicely.
> I got some 4" dia irrigation pipe (from an agricultural equip supplier).
> 4" sched 40 PVC was too floppy.
> =====
>

>     Stages with low ceilings:
>
> Spaces with low ceilings present a particularly challenging situation
> for those wishing to use backdrops. An olio drop is a perfect solution
> for stage areas with no fly space. The overhead structure will need to
> support the entire weight of the drop and its required mechanical parts.
> The top line of the drop itself must be tied to something rigid like a
> wooden batten or a metal pipe that is properly attached to the ceiling
> or other overhead grid-like structure.
> The only moving parts attached overhead will be the pulleys needed to
> reroute the pathway of the operating lines. The other major moving part
> is the roll tube, which is attached to the bottom of the drop.
>

>     Olio Drop in Action
>
> Here’s a great example of an Olio Drop in action found on YouTube.
>
> Unfortunately, the YouTube user hasn’t published any information about
> themselves, so I can’t give them proper credit. Here’s their channel
> link. https://www.youtube.com/user/C4spi3n/
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/C4spi3n/>
>
> Notice how well the windows unroll.
>
> There’s a thunder clap at 5 seconds in. You may want to turn your volume
> down.

> HTH
>
> Dan Sheehan

Jon Lagerquist