[SML] Modern audio output for Mac Mini?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Aug 17 15:58:26 UTC 2022

Hello SMLers and Soundanistas..... For ages, my space has used Mac
Minis for QLab (predominantly) output, but our current Mini (circa
2014!) - we cannot update it anymore. So... a new Mac Mini is desired
- but we're going to need a new audio interface - our existing one
uses.... FIREWIRE.  The first Mini we had used Firewire 400, then with
the "new" one we had to get an adapter, because it used Firewire 800.
Neither here nor there - modern Macs don't use FW. So.... what's out
there?

Our current is (I believe) an Edirol box that has done an exceptional
job - multiple analog outs, served our needs very well. We've hardly
ever used the Mac to record on - and we have USB output from our board
into the Mac for that, so I'm mostly interested in getting something
that is USB-C or Thunderbolt out to a few analog outputs. Any
recommendations? My quick looks keep finding things that are about
giving a Mac analog INPUTS for musicians or podcasters, but of course
I need it to go the other direction.

TIA for any suggestions!

- Jon

--