[SML] Modern audio output for Mac Mini?

Philip Johnson corpus.crispy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:27:04 UTC 2022

I've used a dante virtual sound card as output for 6 years but you have to
have either a dante compatible board or buy converter boxes like avio or
something like that.

For avio you'll need a POE switch to power the units.   They make a usb-c
unit but it's only stereo.   I had a bunch of input and output modules I
used to connect via dante controller.   It's all on the audinate.com site
or ask questions.   There are lots of solutions out there, this is just
one,  but,   I had more outputs and inputs to the console via dante than my
previous motu box and had few problems.

Phil Johnson
Lighting and Sound Designer
Professor of Theatre (retired)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 11:04 AM Jon Ares via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Hello SMLers and Soundanistas..... For ages, my space has used Mac
> Minis for QLab (predominantly) output, but our current Mini (circa
> 2014!) - we cannot update it anymore. So... a new Mac Mini is desired
> - but we're going to need a new audio interface - our existing one
> uses.... FIREWIRE.  The first Mini we had used Firewire 400, then with
> the "new" one we had to get an adapter, because it used Firewire 800.
> Neither here nor there - modern Macs don't use FW. So.... what's out
> there?
>
> Our current is (I believe) an Edirol box that has done an exceptional
> job - multiple analog outs, served our needs very well. We've hardly
> ever used the Mac to record on - and we have USB output from our board
> into the Mac for that, so I'm mostly interested in getting something
> that is USB-C or Thunderbolt out to a few analog outputs. Any
> recommendations? My quick looks keep finding things that are about
> giving a Mac analog INPUTS for musicians or podcasters, but of course
> I need it to go the other direction.
>
> TIA for any suggestions!
>
> - Jon
>
> --