[SML] Stained Glass using Fluorescent or other methods

Don Taco taco at peak.org
Wed Dec 28 04:00:15 UTC 2022

Long ago, when I was young, someone made a stained glass window using gel, at the community theater. It was much too big to light well, went to an arched point, so it was clumsy to hang and heavy to move, used a fortune of supposedly scrap gel, and didn't have a place to store, so it got beat up and was useless in no time. I was appalled. Some designers seem to have no idea of the actual value of things, just because they were already paid for.

I'm skeptical of the idea that UV light will give a stained glass window effect, but it might make for an attractive glow, and look good. I like the idea of a reflective surface behind the window. I don't know why you need a light box, though, unless your window has to be against a wall. I lit the aforementioned monstrosity from above and behind with a single instrument or two and got the effect of light from 'outside.'

At the college, we once painted a sheet of the plastic you make cheap storm windows out of, to have a trendy restaurant window with a stylized flamingo in a grassy pond. Lit through from above the back it looked pretty good. I think a stained glass window done the same way would work fine. Your biggest effort goes into applying the paint without obvious brush strokes.

Good luck with your project!