[SML] A design question

Mr. Kevin Lee Allen klad at klad.com
Wed Jun 8 20:21:04 UTC 2022

I’m not a lawyer either, but there is legal and there is ethical.

It is one thing to be inspired by and IMHO, being inspired by the set for the same show is not ethical. Especially in an educational setting.This teaches the wrong lesson. It might not be intentionally saying stealing is OK, but that is the message.

> On Jun 8, 2022, at 11:02 AM, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> If you drew new set plans from memory of the TV show, which could resemble the original:  not copyright.  It won’t be close enough.
> If you drew set plans while looking at stills/paused images of the TV show: drawings may be more accurate, but I doubt it would be close enough to break the law.
> If you acquired copies of the set plans, and re-drew and built from those, I’m pretty sure that would be copyright infringement).

-----
Kevin Lee Allen
Designer, Author, Producer
http://www.klad.com - 201.280.3841