[SML] Smoke vs Heat vs Rate of Rise detectors

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue Mar 8 21:09:51 UTC 2022

Thanks to Bill Jim Dale George and Bruce

Project is on the books, but the process hasn't started yet (no one assigned to manage it).

I expect that experts will be hired, but I need to know what to demand before we meet with them, so we can argue in our favour.

We've always had issues with the Fire Announce Mic system, and during some testing, it appears its amp failed.  Research by facilities determined that the system (made by 1 of the top 3 lines) isn't repairable anymore.  And since the systems have changed slightly in the past 25 years, it's not just a matter of replacing the Main Panel, but every sensor, pull station, Refuge Phone etc.

Sprinklers are fine.  (the heads have been replaced twice in my 20 years:  once as an upgrade, and then a year later either as a warranty or similar issue).

We're in the Pacific North West (OK Canada, so South West).  Winters aren't that bad.
The FOH Cove (enclosed room in the ceiling for the lighting; not open catwalk) does get up to 40deg C during graduation season (they stay on for 12 hours straight), but that's a slow increase, so shouldn't be a big deal.

Different venue on campus just replaced the deluge curtain with a fire curtain after the inevitable occurred.  The Mist Heads seem interesting, but we won't be doing that.

Thanks for the comments.

Andrew M. Riter
Chan Centre

604-808-2033 (working from home)