[SML] Shrink mirror alternative

Pietrie, Joseph joseph.pietrie at d303.org
Thu Oct 20 15:02:18 UTC 2022

My mother worked for the company that made the silver liners for all snack
food bags. The company was call Quantium materials. They moved from their
location in Arlington heights.  They manufactured on rolls that were
anywhere from 36” to 16’ long. She got me a couple of 5’ wide rolls, on
shinny and one matted, that still had the shrink issues, but the effect was
great. Something to look for?
Joe Pietrie.

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:55 AM Wayne Rasmussen via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Even when Rosco's product was available, it was never large enough for the
> mirrors I wanted to create (Chorus Line and 42nd Street).  We used silver
> mylar in long rolls so that we could accomplish 16' flats without any
> seams.  It's nearly impossible to get the sheets onto flats without  a few
> wrinkles, so we heated them to shrink the material.  Therein lies the
> challenge.  Using 500 watt T-3 strips, we placed the flats over the strips,
> conveyor-belt style.  Still, there were occasional puckers and wrinkles,
> which I tried to fix with a heat gun.  It was difficult to use the heat gun
> without a scorch here and there.  After the second show with mylar panels,
> I swore never to do mirrors again.
>
> MIrrored plexiglass would be far easier, but the maximum length is 96, if
> you need large pieces.
>
> Wayne Rasmussen
> Blair Academy (retired)

Sent from Joe Pietrie