[SML] Shrink mirror alternative

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Thu Oct 20 12:52:10 UTC 2022

Even when Rosco's product was available, it was never large enough for the
mirrors I wanted to create (Chorus Line and 42nd Street).  We used silver
mylar in long rolls so that we could accomplish 16' flats without any
seams.  It's nearly impossible to get the sheets onto flats without  a few
wrinkles, so we heated them to shrink the material.  Therein lies the
challenge.  Using 500 watt T-3 strips, we placed the flats over the strips,
conveyor-belt style.  Still, there were occasional puckers and wrinkles,
which I tried to fix with a heat gun.  It was difficult to use the heat gun
without a scorch here and there.  After the second show with mylar panels,
I swore never to do mirrors again.

MIrrored plexiglass would be far easier, but the maximum length is 96, if
you need large pieces.

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy (retired)