[SML] Training people WAS come work with me

John Palmer johndpalmer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 23 18:31:04 UTC 2022

1. What do you wish the people you were hiring knew more about?
Spotlight operation is the first thing to come to mind.  I am finding that I have to train and teach a lot of basic things because new hires don’t have solid fundamentals.  Some know what to do (ish) but not why.  Ie. Leave spares tied near the socapex connector so that it can be easily found and pulled out to where it gets needed without having to untie all the other cable. Leave slack tied near the fixture.  Don’t tie up the fixture pigtail.

2. What skills and knowledge did your team lose over the last 3 years?
We lost multiple highly skilled technicians capable of working in all departments to full time IT work.  We have had multiple technicians retire.  One was an electrician and spot op, and the other was a bench tech.  One lighting assistant found full time work.
So, we lost the staff that were paired with new hires to pass on experience and operating procedures.  That training now falls to me as a head or my assistant, which means that we are having to fill a crew position and to work longer hours to complete our tasks.

3. What do you personally want to learn more about?
Anything.  Everything.   Really, I need to learn more about command line HP switch configuration.

John