[SML] Safety of carbon fiber masks/heads

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Wed Sep 7 18:40:13 UTC 2022

Hi Michael,
My experience is not extensive, but We have considered CF for fixture housings, and have so-far declined from using it in mass production.
>From what I've seen, the dust is not good to inhale. Not asbestos level bad, but SUPER irritation to the lungs.

If the units have been sealed properly, and they are not likely to rub extensively, you're probably fine.
But, if there's going to be a lot of mechanical stress, or rubbing, then I wouldn't recommend using it.
For now, we have decided that the rigors of the road are not predictable enough for us to commit to using CF... This may change, as we become more educated.

Also, touching the unsealed surface (or just the dust) without a nice layer of lacquer on it to protect your skin can be extremely irritating...similar to, but worse than, handling fiberglass.

Again, I'm no expert, so I may be being overly conservative... But in a situation with performers using/wearing these (possibly dropping them, etc.), I'd lean to the cautions side.

-Ford
-- old fart in residence
--- Get off my lawn