[SML] Safety of carbon fiber masks/heads

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Sep 8 00:16:01 UTC 2022

I looked into this for some hobby projects a couple years ago.
Basically it is very similar to the hazards of working with fiberglass.
  That is to say, fabricating the masks is moderately hazardous.  The
cut fibers get everywhere, and they will stick into your skin and be
incredibly irritating.  The resins used to turn the fiber mats and
strands into unitary peices are often toxic until they are cured.  Once
cured, and the actual fibers are not exposed to surface abrasion, it is
basically inert.   If you need to drill holes or something like that
into a finished peice, the insides of the holes, and any dust produced
need to be cleaned up and sealed.
   The chemical hazards are basically nil for this sort of application.
  Ensure that the CF cloth is not exposed to the air, mostly as it would
be an ideal medium for mold to grow in, being warm and sweaty on a
regular basis.
    I declined to use it, because the uncured resins are toxic, and the
fiber dust is a PITA to clean up.   I ended up using vacuform plastics.
  More fragile, but cheap and easy to have spares made up as needed.

Dale