[SML] Android tablet OK for sound board app?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sat Jan 28 23:20:24 UTC 2023

I believe my colleague was preparing to get a Samsung Galaxy A8 for
use with our SQ-7. Never used an Android tablet, but I do know that
some people have to use some creativity with Amazon Fire tablets to
get apps from the Google Play store, so I recommended to him to avoid
anything like that, and stick with a mainstream Android tablet maker
like Samsung.

The annoying (blessing?) thing is the IT department does pretty much
nothing to supply/support the performing arts center (too much
specialty equipment that's out of their comfort zone) - so it's always
so frustrating when they actually try to insert themselves in our
purchasing of "tools" to do our specialty work.  But that's a rant for
another time.

 - Jon

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 3:06 PM Kenneth Zinkl via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> If you have a QU I believe you have to use an iPad to control the board, but I think everything from SQ on up has apps for iPad, Android, and Windows. Don't get the cheapest android tablet and you should be fine. If you go with an Amazon Fire Tablet (Technically Android) make sure the Amazon app store has the app you need. I've had mixed success installing the Google services that are needed to access the Play Store.
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2023, 2:44 PM Jon Ares via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy folks -
>>
>> I've configured/used iPads with sound boards (using their apps) -
>> Soundcraft and Midas.... and now we have an Allen & Heath.  Our IT
>> head *hates* anything Apple, and is refusing to let us buy an iPad to
>> connect to the new board.  (It's just a tool, but we've beat that
>> horse too long, and now it's time to move on.). Anywho.... any reason
>> we shouldn't use an Android-based tablet with our A&H? Anyone doing
>> that? Anything to be aware of? Again, it's only a tool to use with
>> this sound board, so not about web browsing, email, astronomy apps,
>> FaceTube, fantasy football, etc.... just the A&H app.
>>
>>  - Jon
>>
>> --
>> Jon Ares
>> www.arescreative.com