[SML] Android tablet OK for sound board app?

Charlie Richmond charlie.rsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 23:50:29 UTC 2023

IT rules were one of the biggest obstacles to theatre departments buying
our Amiga based systems back in the day.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 3:22 PM Jon Ares via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I believe my colleague was preparing to get a Samsung Galaxy A8 for
> use with our SQ-7. Never used an Android tablet, but I do know that
> some people have to use some creativity with Amazon Fire tablets to
> get apps from the Google Play store, so I recommended to him to avoid
> anything like that, and stick with a mainstream Android tablet maker
> like Samsung.
>
> The annoying (blessing?) thing is the IT department does pretty much
> nothing to supply/support the performing arts center (too much
> specialty equipment that's out of their comfort zone) - so it's always
> so frustrating when they actually try to insert themselves in our
> purchasing of "tools" to do our specialty work.  But that's a rant for
> another time.
>
>  - Jon
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 3:06 PM Kenneth Zinkl via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> >
> > If you have a QU I believe you have to use an iPad to control the board,
> but I think everything from SQ on up has apps for iPad, Android, and
> Windows. Don't get the cheapest android tablet and you should be fine. If
> you go with an Amazon Fire Tablet (Technically Android) make sure the
> Amazon app store has the app you need. I've had mixed success installing
> the Google services that are needed to access the Play Store.
> > Ken
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2023, 2:44 PM Jon Ares via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Howdy folks -
> >>
> >> I've configured/used iPads with sound boards (using their apps) -
> >> Soundcraft and Midas.... and now we have an Allen & Heath.  Our IT
> >> head *hates* anything Apple, and is refusing to let us buy an iPad to
> >> connect to the new board.  (It's just a tool, but we've beat that
> >> horse too long, and now it's time to move on.). Anywho.... any reason
> >> we shouldn't use an Android-based tablet with our A&H? Anyone doing
> >> that? Anything to be aware of? Again, it's only a tool to use with
> >> this sound board, so not about web browsing, email, astronomy apps,
> >> FaceTube, fantasy football, etc.... just the A&H app.
> >>
> >>  - Jon
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jon Ares
> >> www.arescreative.com

> Jon Ares
> www.arescreative.com

* Charlie Richmond - http://www.RichmondSoundDesign.com
<http://www.richmondsounddesign.com/>
* https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Richmond-4247
* Twitter: @charlierichmond   facebook: charlie.richmond
* Over 2.9 million licensed SoundMan-Server audio channels!