[SML] Android tablet OK for sound board app?

fritz at schwentker.com fritz at schwentker.com
Mon Jan 30 16:52:42 UTC 2023

When we design and specify audio and lighting systems/networks with
app-enabled consoles for schools or other institutional clients, it is
common to include an access-point in the spec so the users can enable their
own wireless connection without having to touch the campus network. Ideally
we'll even have the integrator run suitable category cable with a suitable
dedicated receptacle plate up on a catwalk location back to the main console
or rack housing the audio (or lighting) network switch. If the actual
purchase of the device (iPad for instance) is an issue on a campus, we'll
add that to the spec as well.

Keeping all these networks separate in most theatrical venues usually makes
sense from an operational point of view. And, as long as one is not relying
on an IT department or similar entity for the actual technical support,
there seems to be little push-back. It's important to stress to those who do
push back that, even though this looks like IT, these are distinct
entertainment technology systems, and the need to be respected and managed
by the professionals who are responsible for running the show....

Fritz Schwentker
fschwentker at wjhw.com
Associate Principal
WJHW, Inc.