[SML] Pro audio out to 1/8" mini....

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Wed Sep 13 20:21:49 UTC 2023

99% of what's out there is designed to convert in the other direction,
so you'll have a little bit of digging to do. You could try a cheap
passive DI and either use an XLR turnaround or swap the male XLR
connector for a female. A passive DI should work in both directions.

Something like this might be worth a shot:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999455-REG/rapcohorizon_ltiglblox_blox_series_laptop.html

I found this as an option. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it's
actually designed to do what you need. Just add a 1/4" to 1/8" cable:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770152-REG/whirlwind_iso1_single_channel_line_level.html

You could also try either the smallest mixer you can find and use the
headphone output, or perhaps a small headphone amp like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1706637-REG/art_hp_1_belt_worn_battery_powered_headphone.html

Another option would be to use a line-level XLR to XLR iso transformer
like this, and solder up an XLR female to 1/8" cable:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738580-REG/Sescom_SES_XLR_ISO_SES_XLR_ISO_Inline_XLR_Line.html

Stephen

On 2023-09-13 1:27 pm, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:

> Hey folks... drives me crazy when peoples need an 1/8" feed from our
> sound system, and I can't stand having to come up with a kludge of
> buzzy adapters and sketchy cabling... is there something out there
> that's like a PCDI box, but in reverse?  XLR in>1/8" mini out?  Stereo
> or not - doesn't bother me there.  But I'm sick of lousy audio out to
> their crap cameras or recorders, as they stare at us and wonder why the
> audio is buzzy or crackly....  My main board is an Allen & Heath, and
> we generally use the XLRs out, although there is a couple of 1/4" outs,
> but I've not used them yet...
>
> (Never a problem with the pros that need a feed!)
>
> TIA!
>
> - Jon
> --
> Jon Ares