[SML] Box Booms

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:47:37 UTC 2024

In my former situation, the house box boom positions were fairly ebay to
access from an area behind the auditorium wall via a ships' ladder.
Originally, there was a single pipe located within the slot created in the
wall. Instrument lenses would just barely peek through the opening. They
were very useful for the curved 13' thrust as measured at CL from the
curtain line. As productions became more complex and directors wanted to
put more staging on the thrust and even further into the house over
seating, It became necessary to create a shop made trapeze-like ladder that
was suspended from the house steel structure and tied into the original
vertical pipe.  Come the late '90s and a planned renovation where the
architects wanted to completely remove the elements of the position.  We
and our  consultant at the time convinced the architects of the necessity
of the position and they in turn engineered a much better suspended
position of better materials than what I had built.  It is currently in use
and is invaluable in the space.

My point here is that Bill should fight like hell for the positions to be
installed in the new work. Best of luck convincing your architects, Bill!
Steve
Stephen E. Rees,
Professor and Chair Emeritus of Theatre - SUNY Fredonia
CCE-CC Master Gardener Volunteer
716.680.1565 Mobile