[SML] LED video walls, high output projectors

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:04:18 UTC 2024

Oh wise patrons of the list –

We have been presenting digital media with 9.5K projectors fed HDMI from a computer running Q lab.  We’ve run into the limit of our equipment in terms of punching through the stage lighting and are exploring higher output projectors and LED walls as alternatives.

Any suggestions on manufacturers or equipment that is meant for theatrical use? We’d be moving it regularly between two venues and changing mounting positions on a show-by-show basis, so our priorities include:

- durability;
- flexibility in terms of arrangement (LED walls), throw distance (projectors), and mounting;
- ease of setup/strike;
- ease and flexibility in sending signal;
- budget;
- overall weight, for situations where the equipment is flown.

Thoughts, on- or off-list, are welcome.  Thanks!

Jim Dougherty
Production Manager
Middlebury College Theatre Department