[SML] Big bunches of mics: digital or analog?

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Wed Mar 13 03:56:58 UTC 2024

In my work as an audio engineer, I split my time between theater,
concerts, sports stadiums, corporate meetings, and church work. In all
of those venues, the wireless gear is either digital or moving that way.
About 3/4 of it is Shure in various models from $200/channel to
$2,000/channel. The other 1/4 is Sennheiser & Lectrosonic, with an
occasional older Sony or Audio Technica thrown in.

All that to say: In my experience, the degree to which it works (or
doesn't) has never been down to whether it was analog or digital, so
don't fret over it. The newer stuff has much better frequency scanning
and coordination capabilities, either built-in or through free software
like Shure's Wireless Workbench. Digital wireless tends to be more
efficient with the RF bandwidth, so it can get better audio in a smaller
chunk of frequency. That's a broad generalization, though.

The biggest difference in price from one unit to the next is going to be
the performance of the RF circuits; how well it rejects nearby
interference, how little signal it can receive and still not drop out,
and how well it uses its diversity receivers.

The QLX-D line is one of the newer ones that I haven't yet had personal
experience with, but it's solidly in the middle of the pack. Shure says
that it's exactly same as the ULX-D but without Dante, encryption, and a
couple of other features.

Latency is something that only really becomes a problem for singers who
are using in-ear monitors or headphones. Your eardrums receive your own
voice internally through bone conduction with no delay. When you add
your own voice via in-ear monitors with a slight delay, it can cause
some disconcerting effects when the two signals mix together because
both of the signals are so pure. Without in-ear monitors, your ears are
much more forgiving of natural latency that you hear all the time.

That said, singers use digital microphones (with some latency), mixed
through digital consoles (that add some latency), and listened to via
wireless in-ear monitor packs (which add more latency) without any
problems on a daily basis. The thing to be mindful of is if the latency
starts to pile-up too much beyond that.

Finally, don't worry about what'll be available in 50 years. By that
time, the FCC will have sold off what remains of our dwindling usable
frequencies, and we'll all go back to using wired mics again. *wink*

Stephen