[SML] In house mix location

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:12:11 UTC 2024

I guess I'm old fashioned but I have regarded the in house mix location as
fundamental to a good theatre design: central to audience, good sightlines
for operator as well as audience behind, easy access including wheelchair
accessible, good connectivity including cable paths for temporary use. I'm
not a sound person - leave that to others and just try to make their lives
easier, same as for other techs, designers, performers, and all people
working on production.

Faced with a teacher request for it all in booth: lighting, sound, and
(flat angle) follow spots. I've done sound "porches" where the sound
control is very open to the room - both to stage and overhead - but not
possible here.

So my question is how viable or feasible is in house sound control via a
wireless tablet, as has been suggested (usually by architects who don't
like the look of in house mix positions.)?  I just don't believe sitting in
a seat with a tablet can replace sitting in a seat with a full console yet.
Or has that day arrived?

Thanks.