[SML] Fixing DMX Cables

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Thu Mar 28 14:56:47 UTC 2024

For a 10 foot cable, I'd cut off the connectors and save them for spare
parts. Short DMX cables are fairly inexpensive.

If you have the skills & tools to solder the connectors on new cable,
then do so. Soldering is a good skill to learn, but it takes some time
and practice to do it well. You won't blow anything up if you do it
wrong, but it's not hard to make a cable that doesn't work.

Funny story: Back when I was a college student, we had a maintenance
class where among other things we learned to solder and everyone made a
short (1 foot) mic cable with a 3-pin XLR on each end. Super basic
stuff. Everyone brought their cable to the next class, and the teacher
made us a proposition. "Let's hook everyone's cables together, end to
end. If it works, then everyone gets an automatic A grade and we take
the rest of the class off!" Grabbing a continuity tester, everyone was
excited until it didn't work. The teacher had pity and removed half of
the cables to try again. Still no. Removed half of the cables again.
Again, nothing. I think it came down to 3 or 4 cables in length before
it finally passed a continuity test. This was in a class of around 30
students.

Out of curiosity, a few of us privately asked the teacher after class if
he had ever made that deal to previous classes. Every class before us
had the same deal, and it had never once worked. The teacher was clever
enough to know that the chances of having a 100% pass rate for new
soldering students was extremely low. It made for a fun demonstration,
though.

Stephen