[SML] Fixing DMX Cables

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Mar 29 02:54:19 UTC 2024

If swapping out the cables chased the gremlins away, then they are
damaged.   First, ensure they actually are DMX cables, not microphone
cables with five pin connectors.  (They have different impedences, and
that actually does matter with DMX as you get into larger and longer
cable plants)
   You always need another three or five foot DMX cable.   So get some
new connectors.  What brand of connector is sometimes a religious issue
right up there with what is the  correct way to coil a cable.   Neutrik
is a solid brand and readily available.
   Cut out the visibly damaged portion of the cable.  Be generous in
cutting out the damage, as invisible damage will extend an inch or so
beyond the visible damage.   Open up the connectors and see what color
wire goes to which pin.  Write this down.  Don't assume all your cables
are wired up the same.  Check the existing connectors for damage.
frequently the flexing of the cable in normal use will cause an
intermittent open in one of the conductors at or just past the connector
strain relief.  give each of the individual tug.  If they slide out of
the cable insulator easily, then that was also one of the problems and
that whole connector needs to be redone.  Cut back an inch or so and
start with fresh cable.

If you don't have a soldering setup, there are lots of good soldering
tutorials on youtube.  For advanced skills, look at the tutorials that
show NASA rated soldering skills.   Get an exhaust fan and some dryer
hose.  Set that up to suck the fumes away.  the solder does get hot
enough that lead fumes are a minor hazard.  the vapors released by the
flux are rather more hazardous to your health.   Also, don't eat drink
or smoke while soldering, and wash your hands right after.

   I prefer the 63/37% tin and lead solder with flux core.  It comes in
various diameters, for this you want one of the smaller ones.  The
various lead free solders are a lot more difficult to work with, and
their fluxes I've heard, are alot more toxic.  The 63/37 has the
smallest solidus zone, and reduces the chance of creating a cold solder
joint.  ( as the solder cools off, it starts liquid, and then cools to a
solidus state, which is essentially a slush of mixed solid and liquid
metals.  Any movement of the wire relative to the connector pin during
this time will make a cold solder joint.   Once it fully solidifies, it
can't move.   )  If you drink a lot of coffee or have fine tremors in
your hands, this is very frustrating.   If the solder joint looks dull
and not shiny, it's probably a cold solder joint.  Reflow it.

   Soldering irons.  For DMX cables, I prefer a small chisel point.
think flat blade screwdriver shape.   You have a couple of variables
with soldering irons.  there is wattage of the heating element.  the
higher the wattage, the faster the iron will heat up to the temperature.
   there are temperature controlled irons that will sense the tip
temperature and turn the heating element on and off as needed.   But
those are spendy.   cheaper irons just have the heating element on and
leave it on, those are a bit more difficult to deal with with the small
wires as they can easily get too hot.    There is also the mass of the
tip.  Basically, the more mass your soldering iron tip has, this is
effectively reserve heat so the temperature swings are slower and
smaller, easing your job.    Tin the tip well and take care of it.  The
cleaner and smoother your tip is, the better it performs.  Buy spare
tips and replace them as they get rough and pitted.

Soldering the connectors.  The pins of the DMX connectors are quite
small in size.  they heat up fast and if you overheat them, it messes up
the metal plating, and will soften the plastic they are imbedded in, and
you can easily move an overheated pin in the plastic damaging the entire
connector.  You will also burn your fingers on the pins and wires as
they stay quite hot for longer than you would think.
   Tin the connector solder cups and the individual wires.   Get some
flux, paste or liquid.  Using a toothpick or cotton swab dab a little
flux inside each solder cup.  Then stick the end of the solder into the
cup, then touch the hot iron to the outside of the cup just long enough
to melt the solder.  The goal is to leave a thin layer of solder inside
the solder cup.  Very thin layer. Your third hand will be useful here.

   Tin the wires.  Strip them back according to the diagram on the
connector package.  Dab a small amount of flux on the bare wire.  Twist
the strands together to keep them from sticking out.  Melt a small blob
of solder on the iron and hold the iron horizontally.  Touch the wire
with flux to the blob of hot solder and you will see the flux start to
boil and then the surface tension of the solder will suck the molten
solder right up the wire.  Pull it away when the solder is about halfway
up the stripped length.
   Let things cool off a bit.  Assemble the connector on the cable,
don't forget the strain relief before you solder it up.   check your
notes on which color goes to which pin.  Slide each wire into the solder
cup, touch the soldering iron to the cup with just a tiny blob of solder
on it.  This will melt the solder in the cup, the solder on the iron
will be drawn in by surface tension. the solder of the wire will melt.
Withdraw the soldering iron immediately, hold the wire and connector
immobile as the solder solidifies.  repeat with the rest of the pins.
Check your work again, making sure you didn't do the wires in reverse
order.  It's really annoying to find you did that or forgot to put the
connector strain relief on and have to redo the whole thing.

Assemble the connector and test it again.   Coil it up neatly, take a
deep breath and a stretch.  Do the next one.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a hot button of mine.   LOL.

Dale