[SML] Orch Pit Nets

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at Harford.edu
Mon May 20 13:07:58 UTC 2024

Hello All,
     Hitting the orchestra pit net situation. We have a new theater designed for us with a movable orchestra pit.
The designers did not feel it was needed to have a net for while the pit was down. They said they have only done it for cruise ships when there is a real change of something going into the pit by accident.
     We actually had someone fall into our other theater's pit last spring and luckily it had a net.
     Isn't a pit net a standard for the industry? Or is it like hand rails where once the performer is "used" to the situation they can be removed or even less than that?
     I am concerned that with a new theater we aren't hitting appropriate standards of safety with this if we don't have a net.

Jeff Kanyuck