[SML] supplier for Manufactured swagged cables

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Wed Dec 10 17:53:54 UTC 2014

Bill asked:
> Were you able to consider a single line with sliders (or trolleys, gliders,
> shuttles or whatever you want to call them) and the intermediate
> attachment clamps?  Less fastening and unfastening (if anyone uses it.)

I wasn't in at the ground floor of the discussion.

Oval catwalk surrounds the Concert Hall room.  Plaster wall between catwalk and venue, with the exception of the lighting ports (10' horizontal slots in the wall, waist height and lower), and access doors every xx' into the venue for architectural doo-dads that are in my way, and have décor lights.  The 9 slots have individual horizontal life lines, rated for 2 people each.  Each door way has a solid anchor for 1 person.

I'm told we can walk through the catwalk without donning FA gear.  But come time to hang (twice a year) or focus (every show, 3 days a week) we would need to put it on.  We can travel along the slots on the wire, but then from slot to slot need to clip/unclip.  Regular snap hooks on lanyards to the HLL.  Wire rope sagging down (smiley face) from anchors towards the slots (so it's a soft system, not a rigid system).  5 of the slots are on a curving wall that wraps the upstage end.

There is a mid rail in each slot. The actual lighting pipe extends out from the wall by a foot, and is mounted at the top of the slot. You kneel down to the slot, the lamps are in front of you, and the mid rail is at your waist.  The only stretch is for the 10deg gel frames.

(or I could just take a damn photo and attach it to the new and wonderful listserv)

Nah.

So back to the original question:

Other than Unka Bill, and some local marine manufacturing, anyone else want to raise their hand in interest?
I'm told that the trades have searched the web for (local?) manufacturers, but I'm not clear on the search terms.

(not that the puns weren't interesting, but I thought seeing all those emails I'd actually see something productive <grin>)

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca