[SML] Gas or Electric for Dryers

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Thu Dec 18 17:29:22 UTC 2014

Stephen asked
> I know this is not a costumer list, but I wonder if any of you might have any
> insights into the efficacy of electric versus gas dryers in a university costume
> shop application.

But it is a theatre list . . .  and costumes make theatre.

I've heard that while gas is great for heating houses and hot water, it's not great for clothes dryers.

I have no basis of knowledge to actually verify or justify.  That's just what I recall hearing.

(in BC, where electricity is cheap cheap cheap.  Unlike our gasoline, but that's down 45cents/litre since the summer, or 1/3 of its price)

When replacing our hot water heater a few years ago, we asked about the On-demand HW systems (electric).  The answer was that is best suited to a gas system, because the electric version of on-demand requires more power than typically wired into the house.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca