[SML] Gas or Electric for Dryers

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Fri Dec 19 03:09:06 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 9:27 AM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft wrote:
> I know this is not a costumer list, but I wonder if any of you might
> have any insights into the efficacy of electric versus gas dryers in a
> university costume shop application. The program does a lot of fabric
> dyeing for productions as well as class work in addition to daily
> laundry of costume items for running productions. Please share your
> rationales for one or the other.
> Many thanks in advance.
> Steve Rees

Never worked costume shops, so can't speak to the aspects of gas or
electric dryers are better or worse for costumes.   There is the obvious
hazards of gas leakage, which is a low potential event, but having
personally seen a three story house instantly reduced to kindling from a
gas leak explosion, it did, as they say, leave an impression.   But if
they are already plumbing the building for gas, there is no additional
hazard.     My understanding with the current fracking boom that natural
gas prices in New England are lower per therm than electricity, and
probably going to stay that way for some time, so operating costs favor
gas.

    The plumbing and exhaust stack requirements are going to pretty much
nail the gas dryers to that spot for the foreseeable, so flexibility to
rearrange the space is lower.    Also, wintertime heat recovery from gas
dryer exhaust stacks is more difficult, so that's a minus for gas.
Gas dryers do seem to heat up faster than electric, probably run hotter
too, which reduces cycle time, but risks damaging heat sensitive fabrics
if the dryer lacks a low temperature drying setting.

   No idea what the purchase costs might be, so that needs to be
compared.   Installation costs with gas noticably higher.   Gas line
versus heavy power line, and more expensive exhaust stack. Additional CO
detectors in costume shop needed with the gas dryer.

   I think that it pretty much comes down to a dollar cost comparison.
Installation and operating costs.

   --Dale