[SML] Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Thu Nov 13 03:17:28 UTC 2014

On 11/11/2014 3:50 PM, Alex French via Stagecraft wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> http://www.newser.com/story/198469/mans-wedding-ring-gets-him-killed.html
>
> The article is short on detail... what would be likely to kill a
> person wearing a ring that wouldn't have killed him if wasn't wearing
> the ring?
>
> Alex French

There are a number of possibilities -

 From the story, the victim was installing a dishwasher. He was found
(turning red) on his knees with his left hand behind the machine.

One possibility - he was positioning the dishwasher and his wedding ring
directly contacted something 'live' and his other hand was at another
point on the chassis that was grounded. With or without the ring, he
would have received a shock, but the ring may have improved the
connection to his skin and increased the current to the fatal level.

Another possibility, similar to the first, he was positioning the
dishwasher and contacted a live connection with some part of his body,
perhaps the left hand or arm. When he involuntarily pulled it back, his
wedding ring caught on something and trapped him across a live circuit.

In either of those scenarios the ring contributed to the electrocution.

I was taught at an early age to remove jewelry before messing with
possibly energized circuits. Now I worry about underwires when at
transmitting sites. It's always something!

Carla

A fool learns from his experience. A wise person learns from the
experience of others. Otto von Bismarck