[SML] Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 13 19:11:46 UTC 2014

Transmitting sites han have huge electric fields. I remember one where
it was said that you never needed to carry a torch. The fields were
said to be such that an ordinary fluorescent tube would light up.
Mind, this was a big site, with six 250KW senders, and two 400KW. I
remember the power intake meter in the chief engineer's office
pointing at 3MW.

On 13 November 2014 03:17, Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center via
Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 11/11/2014 3:50 PM, Alex French via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.newser.com/story/198469/mans-wedding-ring-gets-him-killed.html
>>

>> The article is short on detail... what would be likely to kill a
>> person wearing a ring that wouldn't have killed him if wasn't wearing
>> the ring?
>>
>> Alex French
>>

> There are a number of possibilities -
>
> From the story, the victim was installing a dishwasher. He was found
> (turning red) on his knees with his left hand behind the machine.
>
> One possibility - he was positioning the dishwasher and his wedding ring
> directly contacted something 'live' and his other hand was at another point
> on the chassis that was grounded. With or without the ring, he would have
> received a shock, but the ring may have improved the connection to his skin
> and increased the current to the fatal level.
>
> Another possibility, similar to the first, he was positioning the dishwasher
> and contacted a live connection with some part of his body, perhaps the left
> hand or arm. When he involuntarily pulled it back, his wedding ring caught
> on something and trapped him across a live circuit.
>
> In either of those scenarios the ring contributed to the electrocution.
>
> I was taught at an early age to remove jewelry before messing with possibly
> energized circuits. Now I worry about underwires when at transmitting sites.
> It's always something!
>
> Carla
>
> A fool learns from his experience. A wise person learns from the experience
> of others. Otto von Bismarck

Frank Wood