[SML] GaffGun taping tool.

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 18:01:35 UTC 2014

On 10/3/14, 3:06 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:

> We have no "shop" classes, nor welding capability, though I dearly wish
> I had a floor-taping gizmo. So... don't have the in-house capability to
> build one, and I'd never get anyone to buy us one, especially since we
> don't even own a Marley.  But, we do have 2 clients who bring a floor,
> and I'm getting mighty tired of crawling on the floor and taping it
> down.  No one is going to buy us something to "help" outside rentals.

We had a stable of "broom tricks" when I worked for the ballet company.

Broom Trick #1:  Use the bristles of a push broom to anchor the tape
while someone else pulls it out 10-20'.  Walk the broom along to seal
the tape to the floor.  Repeat until width of marley is taped down.

Broom Trick #2: Invert the push broom and use the handle to push the
tape against the edges of the marley to ensure a tight joint between
panels.  (Do not do this with the broom part under your chin, however.)

It definitely saved wear-and-tear on the knees and back.

Steve

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall