[SML] Portable PA - Samson

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Sun Oct 12 17:12:20 UTC 2014

On 10/12/2014 09:53 AM, gbierly via Stagecraft wrote:
>   I have sent them to a person locally but is unable to get components
> to make the necessary repairs, even directly from Samson. I don't
> think me poking around internally will make any difference if parts
> are unavailable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Specialized parts can be a real pain, even when working in the companies
that use them.  If you're outside the company and trying to get parts,
your chances are normally less than zero.

When I worked with the [Video Game Company] USA engineering division we
were designing an arcade version of the game and needed the special
power jacks.  Nope, [Video Game Company] Asia wouldn't supply them to
[VGC] USA.  I used my contacts and had a large bag full magically appear
on the engineering manager's desk...no questions asked.  Also had to use
some midnight contacts when working on their VR visor that never went to
production (we had a working one at CES but the lawyers pulled the plug
just before CES opening time).

Weren't so lucky when working in the R&D unit for one of the large
printer companies.  I was designing a new board for one of their
high-end printers and needed a security chip from Japan.  Nope, not
going to happen.  The head of R&D USA tried to get the chips in his name
and HE couldn't get them.  Project canceled.

When designing a 3D studio video camera the Japan main office couldn't
get wind that the studio division was doing this, so getting
documentation for their standard camera chips and boards was difficult,
but we managed it.  That project died just before NAB because it turns
out a critical part of the documentation was wrong and a large part of
the design had to be chucked.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand