[SML] Any Eartec Comstar users?

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Fri Oct 24 02:25:34 UTC 2014

On 10/17/2014 12:37 PM, Bruce Purdy via Stagecraft wrote:
> Jon Ares via Stagecraft  wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in the "heavy duty self-contained" headsets (no
>> beltpack).  As I often have female users who never wear a belt,
>> beltpacks are a liability.
>
> Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but it reminds me of a
> question that might {somewhat} relate. I have a female performer that
> can't wear the headset mikes that the guys wear, so I have to put her
> on a lav. The reason is her head is too small. I can't adjust the
> headset small enough to fit her. Has anyone else run into this? Any
> similar problems with intercom headsets?
>
> Bruce

Similar problems.  I wear glasses, and have a large hat size.  So
earmuff type headsets worn for long times leave me with sore spots where
the cushion presses the bows of the glasses into my skin. Lightweight
earsets are mostly designed to loop over the ear, where the interference
with the bows of my glasses leave me with sore ears, knock my glasses
askew, and dislodge the earset at inconvenient times.

   I actually own an old plantronics air traffic control headset where
the electronics are in a small cube with a clip that nicely hooks to my
glasses, letting my ears just hold the usual burden of my glasses.  It
works great with the old style telephone operators plugs. (two bantam
jacks parallel to each other)  and has a latching push to talk switch in
a handy grip that is easy to hold in the hand or attach to one's
clothing.   Unfortunately nobody uses the old bell system operators
headset anymore.  I wish I could buy an intercom beltpack that could
interface to it.

   The other telephone headset I used that was most comfortable to wear
was a headset made by a hearing aid company called Starkey. The headset
was so light that it was entirely held up by you sticking the custom
molded earbud into your ear.  It was so comfortable that I would
literally forget I had it on and it would get yanked off my head as I
walked away from my desk.     I don't have a job where I am on the phone
all the time anymore, so that is lost in my attic someplace also.   I
tried to find an interface to use it with either a two way radio or
intercom, but was defeated by expense and complexity, as there was no
market for that when I was looking.   I may try digging it out again and
seeing if I can find a solution now.

    --Dale