[SML] scanners

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 21 00:40:30 UTC 2015

> I concur with Bruce's recommendation for the Fujitsu, though I have
> there mid $200s SnapScan, not the $20,000 model the recommends.  4 or
> so members of an organization I'm close to scanned a dozen or so file
> boxes of letters and such using two SnapScans in about a day or so
> IIRC.  A large part of that effort  is organizing - file naming and
> directories - the electronic files of course.

	As I had mentioned, the big unit I was using may well be over-kill for this individual, but a smaller Fujitsu may well be a good answer.

	Absolutely true about the organising aspect! A cluttered file system is almost as bad as all those boxes of paper. The first step is to write up a plan - a system that identifies the various types of documents you are dealing with.

	If there aren’t TOO many, simply a well organised set of files (and maybe nested files) will sort your documents (probably PDFs) in such a way you can find what you are looking for.

	On the other hand, the system I was working with put everything into a huge searchable database. Each document type had it’s own specific set of fields (Last name, First name, Date, client, etc, etc.) The data entry for each document took a lot longer than the scanning - and so did “prepping” them. (removing staples, paper clips &c.)

	The proprietary database we used as well as the software interface were both proprietary and EXPENSIVE - with a hefty annual licence. On a smaller scale, I imagine you could create something in Filemaker Pro or MS Access if you are ambitious enough.

	The main thing is to plan out your organisation scheme thoroughly before you start to scan.

	The project can take longer than you expect, and be a lot of work, but is very worthwhile. Not only do the records take LOTS less space to store, and weight to move - but they are searchable. In seconds you can locate and access a file that you might otherwise have to spend a long time digging through boxes.

	Oh, and be sure to BACK UP those files! :-)

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.