[SML] Wireless microphones

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Wed Apr 22 13:59:09 UTC 2015

For that large a quantity only once or twice per year, rental probably makes a lot more sense.

Renting is more money in the long term, but it saves you all the hassle of repairs,  lost or stolen replacement, and the uncertain future of spectrum reallocation.  And one less collection of expensive bits of gear you have to store and keep track of the rest of the year.

How many years of rental fees do you have to save to pay for the purchase and maintainance costs?

Are there other groups in the area that you could pool your less commonly used equipment with?  This would change the tradeoffs in lucre, labor and goodwill points.

Dale

What are people's experiences with the lifetime of wireless microphone systems?

We use ours once or twice a year but the students are really hard on them.  The system is 8 to 10 years old and I have connector issues and also narrowing frequencies due to hdtv.
It's and Audio Technica system with antenna combiner and 24 3000/5000 series units.

It's feeling it's age.  Suggestions for new?   I see lots of system from the touring shows,  what is holding up the best?

Since we only use it once or twice a year, rental?  Purchase?  I worry about wear and tear on rental mics and having to replace them because of carelessness

Need about 20 or so for our shows.

Thanks for you advice

Phil Johnson
Designer. Texas A&M Corpus Christi