[SML] Black And White Live Theatre

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:53:42 UTC 2015

On 4/24/15 11:30 AM, Brock Keeler via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The theatre company at my high school is putting on some shows and
> for one of them we wanted the beginning to have a black and white,
> film noir look to it. I was wondering if you had any lighting tips on
> how to achieve it our school has leds and the regular lights.

I worked with a designer who tried to do a film-noir look.  Her tactic
was to make the lighting as monochromatic as possible, working out of
Rosco's CalColor series of lavenders. (4915-4990)

In my opinion, the key to film noir isn't the black-and-white, but the
angles and shadows.  Slashes of light across the face to reveal eyes and
expressions, and stark contrast between what's lit and what's in the
background.  The original Star Trek series had some noir elements, if
you want to see how it looks with color.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall