[SML] Jigsaw recommendations... methods as well....

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:52:21 UTC 2015

I prefer the Bosch barrel grip jigsaw which, for those,in the know, was originally called a "Scintilla" saw. The saw has variable speed and thrust cycle, a built in blower, and an on/off switch rather than a trigger. My older one (I have a newer one as well but prefer the older one by far) has tool-less blade changing while my newer version has a quick change feature. Bosch blades (tang) are excellent. I have found that if I have a particular cutting job to do, I look up the blade indicated by Bosch which will be appropriate, and it will always perform flawlessly.

I find that the barrel grip fits my hand in a more natural position than the "D" handle. Also the slide on/off switch means I don't have to squeeze a trigger for hours on end. True I could use the detention button to keep the trigger "on" but I'd rather not if I have a choice.

If I have a bunch of panels to scroll cut, I prefer to cut them on a sheet of styrofoam so I don't have to reposition the work. I prefer 3" or 4" foam. Note: always cut on the same side. The sheet will last for a long time. It will end up with a bunch of "fingers" of foam sticking up after many many cut outs but will still function.

The "U" shank blades you seek shouldn't be that hard to find. Sears should have them. They seem to be "homeowner/hobbyist" quality blades. I really don't care much for them in general.

Your DeWalt saw, if it is acting as you describe, is defective and sounds like it needs a new switch. A hair trigger saw is not normal, desirable, or safe. If there is a DeWalt service place near you, take it to them... especially if it is under warranty.

Laters,

Paul 1

Sent from my iPad