[SML] Guide for New Renters

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Dec 9 19:54:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Randy Storms via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> For those of you on the facility side of things, what are some bits of
> (non-snarky) wisdom you wish every renter walked in the door knowing?  What
> are some recurring problems you have with amateur groups?  Checklists?
> Other ???

What sort of problems did you have/avoid?

I don't have any "non-snarky" specifics, but one wish I always have
with inexperienced groups that rent our facility for a "show" or
"event" is that they understand we are providing the venue, NOT
producing or directing their event. They often have one (or many)
volunteer(s) that allegedly know how to "decorate a room," but fail to
realize we all need an order of events, specifics on what or how they
need sound to provide, etc. Lots of people to decorate the lobby, no
one to produce the onstage part.

One big piece of advice is ONE person needs to be the point-person or
conduit for all requests/changes for the tech side of things.... too
many cooks yelling in the ear of the sound engineer.....

 - Jon

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com