[SML] swimming pool onstage

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:45:37 UTC 2015

"All You Have to Do is Act" was an insightful remark by Lawrence Olivier to
Dustin Hoffman, that could apply here. It may be time for the production
team to be creative and cause the audience to suspend their disbelief.
/s/ Richard

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> > The water alone will weigh 64 lbs / cu ft.  that's before you put any
> > structure around it.
>
> Yep, roughly a ton per 4x8 foot area - for each foot of water depth. I
> don't
> think any stage deck is designed to support the equivalent of several feet
> of
> water over a large area.
>
> Also, the water will need testing and chemical treatment - more than
> likely at
> least once a day.
>
> Tell the director and set designer -"No!". There is no reason why they
> cannot
> fake there being water in a pool. We did so in a small community theatre
> (High
> School Musical) and the audience was happy with the simulation.
>
> Bill

/s/ Richard
_________