[SML] Masking Projector Black

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Sat Feb 7 18:18:27 UTC 2015

What?  Somebody flash the Jerry sign?

DMX shutters aren't be hard, but that cuts off the entire image.  If
you're trying to trim the video black border, then that requires a
gobo.  Haven't seen a lot of projectors with gobo slots, but it wouldn't
be a bad idea for a pro unit to have one.

On 02/07/2015 09:19 AM, Jason Salvatori via Stagecraft wrote:
>  I've always had issues trying this in the past.  The problem is that
> in front of the lens you are already past the focal plane, so you
> can't get a hard cut.  It is akin to using barn doors on a fresnel as
> opposed to a shutter on an ERS.   Having your blocking material a bit
> further in front of the lens does help a bit. I've also found that
> doing this will lower your output intensity of the rest of the image.
> What we need is someone to invent a projector with internal shutters
> that are DMX controlled... Jerry?
>
> Jason
>

>>       I'm curious what can go wrong when trying to mask portions of a
>> projector field with black wrap. I am planning to dowse the projector, but
>> do to its intended use, and necessitated position, large portions of the
>> field will never get used.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand