[SML] Computing a lighting load

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:08:55 UTC 2015

> Ideally I'm looking for a reference based on manufacturer's requirements,
> NEC, industry standard, etc.  Rule of thumb is definitely welcome but not as
> helpful in this context.  I find it interesting that the load will
> presumably be diminishing over time as our industry gradually shifts to a
> greater reliance on LED and other lower-load fixtures.  Our own system will
> be a mix of conventional and LED for a long time to come.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Jim Dougherty
> ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.

So, based on the NEC and supported by the ETC white paper and other
views here, prepare a schedule if this work is going to be done under
and electrical permit, or if not under permit save yourself some work
and use 50% and end up at about the same place.  We use 50% for solid
state lighting which is serendipitously pretty close to two 575's on a
20 amp circuit and about what knowledgeable manufacturer's recommend -
so a maximum of 10 typical 120 watt LED on one 20 amp relay controlled
circuit.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC