[SML] funky power

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Wed Feb 18 03:36:56 UTC 2015

I was testing some lighting controllers today and the lights started
flickering. Thinking I had a bad part on the controller I tested another
brand new one.  Nope, did the same thing.  ??  Bad run of parts?
Grabbed an old one made in 2008, did the same thing.  AHA!  Swapped out
the dimmer for another one of a different brand.  Different flickering
but still there.  !!!  New DMX cable?  Nope.

Grabbed a DC dimmer and powered it from a regulated DC supply.  All is good.

Put a 'scope on the AC line and we've got a funny looking waveform, it's
depressed on the falling side with no dimmers running in the building.
Sort of reverse what you'd see from running a large switching supply.  ???

Anyway, ALWAYS test everything before tossing everything out the window
and heading for the bar.  :)

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand