[SML] Prop Weapon Question - Legality

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Thu Jan 8 22:10:37 UTC 2015

Here in Vermont, the attitude towards firearms is markedly different; the NYC procedure linked to earlier seems excessive for something that looks and sounds like a gun but cannot possibly be made to fire a projectile (that last was my opinion only, in case you're wondering).  We needed a single barrel shotgun for a show.  We found one but wanted to modify it so that it could not possibly chamber or fire a live shell (because there was no reason for it to do so, my employer's policies prohibit firearms on campus and for my own peace of mind).  The gunsmith I spoke to about doing the work was loathe to do that to a perfectly good (albeit dirt cheap, base model) shotgun - similar to an H&R or Rossi for those who care about those things. They finally assented and were satisfied because they brazed rather than welded the obstructing plug in place so the work could be reversed later if need be.

I'm getting OT and bordering on politics, so I'll be brief, but concealed or open carry here are not an issue though there are a few laws about firearms on school grounds/courts/federal property as well as how they may be legally carried in a vehicle.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.