[SML] OT : Hanging Flat Screen TV

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Jul 2 01:44:09 UTC 2015

If all reasonable methods fail, then you start probing.
Get a thin steel wire about three inches long.  Unfolding a paperclip is
about right.  Buy a package of drill bits (since you probably will break
the things in the process) of the right diameter to admit the paperclip,
but leaves behind a very small hole that can be filled in with a bit of
varnish or just ignored.

setup your drill to drill through the wallboards but no further.  A
couple of wraps of gaff tape around the bit to mark the depth work for
me.    Drill holes and probe the hole with the wire to detect if a stud
is hiding behind the air gap.

   if you have a very steady hand, use the same holes to drill
diagonally to increase your coverage of your probe wire behind the wall.

   Don't drill into wires or pipes!

   --Dale