[SML] Masonite Stage Floor Issue

Matthew J. Evans mjedesigner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:31:15 UTC 2015

Over the summer, we installed a new stage floor surface on our stage.  We
used double-sided tempered hardboard - aka as Masonite.  Yes – I realize
Masonite is like a brand name like Kleenex is to tissue.  The hardboard was
laid over the original stage floor made out of maple tongue and groove
boards.  Expansion gaps were left in between each piece of Masonite and
fastened to the ground with Senco 8x1 1/4 cement board screws. Before the
floor was installed. We painted all surfaces and edges with Rosco Tough
Prime. I’ve used Tough Prime since it came out and never had a problem with
it.

After the Masonite was fastened to the ground we noticed that the paint was
coming off by rubbing our shoe against it.  We were turning our foot on the
edge of the sole and swiping the floor.  I'm not talking just a regular
scuff from the rubber sole; I'm talking paint completely pulling off down
to raw lumber. I contacted Jenny Knott at Rosco and explained our
situation. She informed us that she had seen instances of this.  She went
on to explain how the processing of tempered hardboard has changed over the
years.  Apparently, the processing now involves linseed oil.  And as we all
know, oil and water-based products do not mix. She advised us to wash the
raw Masonite and apply more coats of paint. She also advised us to let the
floor cure for 48 hours.

The other layer of this onion involves our observation of lighter colored
Masonite. I'm used to the chocolate brown Masonite. Instead, this Masonite
was blond in color. I contacted the lumber yard, and they said color didn't
make a difference.  The Masonite had a smooth finish on both sides, so I
know it’s tempered.  We went to another lumber yard and picked up another
batch of Masonite. This time it was a little bit darker – almost khaki
colored - but not the dark chocolate color I'm used to.

We paid extra attention to washing the floor and again painted all surfaces
and edges.  After laying the floor a second time, it was still doing the
same thing with our shoes.  We tried several tests using different coats of
paint and ultimately discovered it would take four coats of paint to resist
scuffing.

It’s been about a week since we finished the last coat and yesterday we had
to lay tape down on the floor to mask out an area to paint a safety line.
Today, when we went to pull up the tape,  some of the top layers of the
floor came up with it.  The tape was down for 24 hours. The floor had over
48 hours to dry.

I’m certain we may have a manufacturing issue with the lumber.  The paint
is adhering and doing its job. Rosco has checked the batch number and
everything checks out.

Has anybody experienced this?